Hebrew Free Burial Association is a unique organization that’s been around for over 100 years and whose mission is to ensure that every Jew – regardless of their level of observance, financial resources, family situation, receives a proper Jewish burial in HFBA’s Mount Richmond Cemetery in Staten island. Most of Hebrew Free Burial's cases are true Meisei Mitzvah as they have no family, friends or resources to care for themselves.
Hebrew Free Burial's tireless efforts ensure that these holy neshamos (souls) can properly move on to the next world because they had a Kosher burial. Indeed, Hebrew Free Burial saves hundreds of Jews from being cremated or dumped in city cemetery every year. In addition to providing a complete FREE kosher burial - including a Tehara, funeral, plot and burial - Hebrew Free Burial runs a volunteer minyan group consisting of dozens of dedicated members who - rain, shine, hot or cold - come out to ensure these holy souls have a minyan at their burial so that Kaddish can be said.
Hebrew Free Burial has been endorsed by Rabbanim across the world. Click the different links below to watch what each Rav had to say about this campaign.
Harav Reuven Feinstein | Harav Hershel Schachter | Rabbi Elchonon Zohn | Rabbi Shalom Rosner | Rabbi Mordechai Becher | Rabbi Paysach Krohn | Rav Gav (R' Gavriel Friedman) | Rabbi JJ Schacter | Rabbi YY Jacobson | Rabbi Moshe Weinberger | Rabbi Yaakov Lehrfield |Rabbi Shais Taub MISASKIM and Rabbi Yanky Meyer | The Associated Press' story on HFBA during Covid-19.
HFBA typically handles between 350-400 taharas and burials a year at our cemetery. Each burial costs our organization around $5400. Our annual budget is approximately $2,500,000.
In 2020, however, due to Covid-19, the number of niftarim we’ve handled (and continue to handle) is unprecedented. This year, without a second wave of the virus, we will bury at least 500 Jews. If chas v’shalom there is a second wave, our caseload will dramatically increase. This influx in burials has created over $1,000,000 in added expenses – resources we simply don’t have. We, the greater klal yisroel, have an obligation to bury these meis mitzvah with dignity. HFBA has done this since 1888. But today we need your help.
What you NEED to know about Hebrew Free Burial:
· HFBA has been performing chesed shel emes for over 130 years, ensuring that every Jew who dies alone or impoverished will receive a proper dignified Jewish funeral and burial.
· Many of HFBA’s niftarim are classic meis mitzvah; men and women with no family or friends to care for them.
· HFBA works with government agencies and medical facilities to arrange burials for niftarim who would otherwise be cremated or buried in city cemetery.
· Each funeral and burial, on average, costs HFBA $5400.
· During a normal year, HFBA arranges 350-400 burials.
· This year, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, HFBA will bury around 530 Jews, incurring an additional $1,000,000 in total expenses. With an expected increase of 125 Burials this year due to Covid-19, HFBA is asking for the public's help by campaigning for $675,000 which would cover the bare costs for these additional burials alone.
· HFBA runs a volunteer minyan network to ensure these Jewish souls have a minyan at their burial so that kaddish can be said.
Today, you have an opportunity like no other to fulfill the mitzvah of chesed shel emes. Any amount you donate will help bring a meis mitzvah to a proper Jewish funeral and burial. You will prevent a cremation, keep our chevra kadisha safe with necessary personal protective equipment, and make sure every grave has a matzeivah. This mitzvah will bring a tremendous zechus to you and your family.
Here's how you can help today:
· Please join this essential campaign by making a donation here on our campaign page.
· Create your own team with its own goal.
· Share this message and the campaign link with your family, friends and business contacts.
If you prefer to mail in a donation, you can send it to: Hebrew Free Burial Association, C/O Gottlieb, 623 Ingram Avenue, Staten Island, NY, 10314.
Thank you, tizku l’mitzvos!
Hebrew Free Burial Association and the following Rabbanim:
Harav Reuven Feinstein (Rosh Yeshiva, Yeshiva of Staten Island), Harav Hershel Schachter (Rosh Yeshiva and Rosh HaKollel RIETS at Yeshiva University), Rabbi Mordechai Becher (noted speaker), Rabbi Gav Friedman (Rebbe, Aish HaTorah), Rabbi Yakov Horowitz (Director of The Center for Jewish Family Life/Project YES), Rabbi YY Jacobson (Dean, TheYeshiva.net), Rabbi Paysach J. Krohn (noted speaker and Mohel), Rabbi Yaakov Lehrfield (Rav, Young Israel of Staten Island), Rabbi Yanky Meyer (President, CEO and Founder, Misaskim), Rabbi Shalom Rosner (Rebbe, Yeshivat Kerem B'Yavneh), Rabbi JJ Schacter (Senior Scholar, YU Center for the Jewish Future), Rabbi Shais Taub (noted speaker and author), Rabbi Steven Weil (CEO of Friends of the IDF), Rabbi Meyer Weill (Vice President, Misaskim), Rabbi Moshe Weinberger (Rabbi Congregation Aish Kodesh and Mashpia, Yeshiva University), Rabbi Elchonon Zohn (Founder, National Association of Chevra Kadisha).